By Greg Meyerhoff and Anne Salisbury, PhD
Wired.com January 2008
To channel, you open your conscious awareness to bring through guidance from higher planes of consciousness. This can also be called accessing your intuition. Once you access it, you apply this inner wisdom to your everyday life.
This wisdom can come from a higher aspect of you, which you may call your higher self. It can also come from contact with other individual beings, which is often termed mediumship. And it can also come from contacting energy that is of a higher vibration, such as saints, angels and spiritual group consciousness.
Channeling involves the same steps, yet the end contact is different. It is like flying to three different destinations from the same airport.
Types of Channeling
There are three basic focuses of channeling:
1. You are basically unconscious and information comes through you without your being conscious of the question or answer. An example of someone who did this is the well known “sleeping prophet,” Edgar Cayce. His psychic readings are archived at the Association for Research and Enlightenment. These are used today to assist people in health, relationships, finances and a general understanding of ourselves and our world.
2. You kind of step aside and the information comes through you. You are fully aware of both the question and the answer. An example of someone who does this is Sylvia Brown who you may have seen on the Montel Williams TV show. She hears the answers she is given and then relays them to her audience.
3. You are fully awake—almost super awake. Ideas flow into your consciousness, but it is not like something other than yourself is talking. You can see this in people such as scientists, philosophers, artists and inventors who suddenly come up with an idea or discovery. Albert Einstein, Aristotle and Motzart are examples of this form of channeling through wisdom.
All three methods are valid. They sometimes intermingle and overlap each other.
Guidelines for Becoming a Channel
You can follow these guidelines to become a channel of wisdom for yourself:
- Belief—Believe you can channel and that the process is real.
- Clear Mind—Clear your mind of mind-chatter so you can hear, see, feel or know when you are receiving information. Otherwise you could just be tapping into your own wishful thinking or fears. You can use meditation and self hypnosis to clear your mind.
- Practice—Practice contacting higher wisdom and checking-out if the information is true. If it is a prediction, wait, watch and see if it comes true. If it is a warning, validate the warning. It if is spiritual growth advice, follow it, with caution, to see what happens.
- Allow—Allow only that information and connection that is in your highest and greatest good. You want to connect with energy that is good for you. You want to leave behind anything that is of a lower, rather than higher, vibration.
Steps for Channeling
Here are some steps you can follow to channel psychic wisdom:
- Sit in a comfortable chair in a quiet place.
- Relax and breathe deeply.
- Bless yourself and the experience you are about to have, however you choose to do that. Ask that the experience be for your highest and greatest good.
- See yourself in a column of light that goes from the center of the universe to the center of the earth.
- Use all your senses to imagine and create this column of light, love and truth. Invite it to come around and through you.
- Open yourself to the wisdom that comes through you. You may see an image, hear a distinct voice, or feel a presence around you. Notice the message.
- When you are complete, let the light turn off like turning off a faucet. Now you are again in your own space.
- Now validate your information and choose to act or not act upon it.
Remember, this experience is for you. Removing the static in your system allows you to receive clearer information. So you may want to meditate, or practice self-hypnosis, to before you feel comfortable with channeling. You will also want to meditate between channeling sessions to keep yourself clear and clean. Practice, and connecting only with energy that is for your highest good, is important.
Always know that you are in charge and can stop the process and/or communication at any time. You can disregard any and all of the information that comes through you. You are the one in charge of you. So make sure everything feels right in your head and your heart. And enjoy the process!
Greg Meyerhoff and Anne Salisbury, PhD, MA, MBA give talks on how to access your intuition, offer intuitive sessions for business and individuals by phone and in person, and offer distance learning courses on intuition. To learn more about intuition and channeling visit GoIntuition.com.